Here are 5 payment options for online truck tax filers to pay 2290 HVUT taxes online easily and quickly.
If you’re reading this, you’re probably wondering “how do I pay my HVUT taxes quickly?”.
You’re not alone.
Thousands of trucking companies file their 2290 HVUT forms around this time of the year and pay their HVUT taxes through various payment methods.
And just like you, many are opting for electronic payment methods for a swifter and instant payment experience.
The IRS enables truck taxpayers to pay their HVUT truck tax online as well as offline.
Use the following guide to pay your HVUT taxes quickly.
Note: If you still haven’t figured out your HVUT estimates, use EZ2290’s virtual HVUT tax calculator to calculate your total HVUT for the filing period.
Table of Contents
- Credit/Debit Card
- EFW or Direct Debit
- Mail-In Checks
- ACH- Direct Bank Account Draft
The IRS has started to accept online payments through the use of debit and credit cards in 2021.
When you want to pay your HVUT tax through an IRS-authorized agent like EZ2290, you can choose this method for a convenient payment experience.
Select the Debit/Card option on the payment methods page, and you will be redirected to the IRS.gov/PayByCard page. You can make a direct payment to the IRS here.
If you’re filing with an eFile provider, you will probably need to pay a little extra (less than $3) as a service fee, since the providers send your eFile requests to the IRS and process the filings. You will need to pay more depending on the volume of your eFilings.
- On the payments page, make sure that you select the service provider with whom you’re filing your 2290 forms.
Select the payment category “2290” to proceed further
- Ensure that you select the correct tax year (otherwise, you’re authorizing payments for a different tax year, and you can’t claim a refund).
- Review the payment information before you proceed to authorize the payment. If you’ve entered incorrect information, now’s the time to go back and change it.
- Once the payment has been processed, you will receive an electronic receipt.
EFW or Direct Debit
EFW payment method allows you to pay the IRS 2290 tax due by enabling a direct debit from your bank account, giving it the name “direct debit” or EFW (Electronic Fund Withdrawal).
This is a simple payment method that many trucking companies use for bulk payments, especially for scheduled eFile and ePay experiences.
Information you need for using this payment method:
- Banking information
- Routing number
- Checking or savings account number
- Your payment or withdrawal amount
- The date you want your fund withdrawn
On selecting this payment method and entering the above information, a request will be sent out to your bank. Once your bank authorizes the payment, the amount will be debited from your account on the date and time you selected.
It’s one of the most convenient ways to pay your HVUT truck tax, especially if you plan on scheduling your tax payments in advance.
If you have an account at eftps.gov, you can make the payment relatively quickly.
However, if you don’t have an account, you will be asked to enroll. The IRS will take at least 7 business days to process new enrollments.
So, if you’re looking for a “quick” payment option, this isn’t it (especially if you’re new to EFTPS).
This is a free payment method provided free to all taxpayers. It’s secure and enables you to make payments from your bank account.
You will be required to verify your bank account details before you’re able to access payments.
Once the payments have been received by the IRS, you will receive the payment confirmation to your email address.
This is a traditional payment method preferred by businesses that have been in business before electronic payments were brought into mainstream use.
This method has lost its charm over the years since newer, faster, and more secure payment options have been introduced.
However, if you prefer the good old way of paying your taxes, you will need to send a physical copy of your check.
Address this to the “United States Treasury” and mail it to the following address.
Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 804525
Cincinnati, OH 45280-4525
Print and enclose a copy of the Payment Voucher 2290-V along with the check.
Include the following information on the back:
- Your Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Daytime phone number
- Form 2290 and the tax period
ACH- Direct Bank Account Draft
This is an electronic version of mailing your checks. Just as the name suggests, this payment method requires you to submit a direct bank account draft to withdraw or debit the amount directly from your bank.
You will need the following information to proceed with this payment method.
- Routing Number
- Account Number
- Account Type (Checking or Savings)
- Account Holder Phone Number
How’s this different from the traditional mail-in check method? Well, for starters, it’s electronic. This means, no more worrying about stamps, printing costs, envelopes, losing checks, and the lot.
Pay HVUT Now in 3 easy steps.
Related Form 2290 Posts
- Form 2290 Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Guide For 2022-23 Tax Year
- How To File Form 2290 Online? 5 Quick Steps For Filing Road Tax Form 2290
- 10 Reasons Why You Should Be eFiling Form 2290 And Ditch Paper Filing
- Reported An Incorrect VIN On Form 2290? Fix-It Quickly & Easily With This Simple Hack!
- How To Pre-File Form 2290 In 5 Super Quick Steps?